1301 Summer 2015 Minimester

Hello, my name is Cliff Hudder, and greetings to all signed on for English 1301 Online Class for Summer Minimester of 2015.

This document is not a syllabus, but a way to give you all an idea of what’s coming up for the course in the Summer. There are some things you can be doing now to get started, but don’t fret too much. English 1301 Online during the mini happens fast: but proceeds day by day at a reasonable pace for those who keep up with it every day.  It does not require anything to begin save fulfilling registration requirements, having access the Internet and email and knowing how to use them, and basic keyboarding skills. The course itself will be available on your D2l page very soon.

THE ORIENTATION: To quell your fears and questions about the orientation–it’s the sort of thing which can be done online, and will not require your presence at any particular location or any particular time before the Summer. This is pretty much how I run the course (with one important exception). I’m always trying to utilize the versatility available to us in an online section.

One part of the orientation is a short introduction specific to our course which you can read on Week 1 after class starts. Should you have questions after examining the online orientation, feel free to ask me via email, phone, or you can even come see me in person in Rm G120F on the Montgomery campus. I do think that even if you haven’t used D2L before, like any software, playing with it for a week or so will bring familiarity, and I’m expecting a learning curve for such things at the start of the course.

ABOUT THE COURSE IN GENERAL:

OUR BOOK:

Reading Critically, Writing Well Paperback ­ by Rise B. Axelrod and

Charles R. Cooper

ISBN-13: 978-1457638947  ISBN-10: 1457638940  Edition: Tenth Edition

Beware: many of the other sections are using something else.  Our book is much cheaper (and better) than the one used by the other sections.  Because the bookstores are commonly confused about this, I will be posting the first readings for the first week—but obtain that book as quickly as you can: it’s not optional.

Also I’ll be sending those of you with grammar or mechanical issues to examine a reference resource online: The Owl at Purdue.  You can Google this now if you’d like to look it over: I’ll be providing links as well inside of the course.

THE FINAL: This is the only exception to the “not having to show up at any particular place at any particular time” aspect of the course. These “in-class” writing assignments for the course will be given on computers and be available at all Lone Star Testing Centers in the last weeks of class. Many other locations can be arranged by students so long as they are proctored. (I just had a student complete a similar course from Chile.)

There is no other way to insure that those who say they’re taking the course actually are, so you should consider that it is this exam which guarantees the integrity of your three credit hours.

That’s probably enough to burden you with before the semester is upon us, but feel free to email me with questions: After your section begins, I will answer within a working day. You might also catch me before the semester starts at my office: 976-273-7399, or leave a message. As I said, I believe the course will be enjoyable, and I’ve always found that if you jump in, keep up, and attempt everything, it’s difficult to do poorly in English 1302 Online.

Thanks, and welcome aboard,

Cliff Hudder